Everybody’s favorite education/economic investment/just-plain-fairness issue – Tuition Equity (aka Senate Bill 742) needs you to pick up your phone & help again, Bus friends.
What you can / should / realllllyfrickingshould do:
- Find your State Rep.’s phone # here.
- Grab your phonephone
- Dial that thang
- Sing your little heart out for Tuition Equity and tell ‘em you support SB 742 & want them to vote yes (note: do not actually sing) .
A brief refresher on Senate Bill 742: it allows long-time, high-achieving Oregon students to get unsubsidized in-state tuition, regardless of their documentation status.
The Legislative Fiscal Office found that it doesn’t cost the state any money and people love it across the ideological divide (everybody from Oregon Education Association to the Associated Oregon Industries – an unlikely pairing to say the least) because it’s good for edcuation AND for the economy. Oh yeah.
We dig it because it keeps smart, talented, hard-working young folks in Oregon (which will make for a stronger economy in the long-run) and because of the simple fact that it treats people fairly. Justice, people, justice.
Your phone calls could make one heckuva difference for these students (and for Oregon’s future). So pick up that line & dial dial dial.
If you want more info on the bill/a few ideas for what to say, we told you to go here & we didn’t lie.
A few talking points, if we may:
- Please support Senate Bill 742 (duh)
- Tuition Equity helps long-time, high-achieving Oregon students continue their education
- Tuition Equity is a great investment in Oregon’s 21st century economy by keeping top talent here
- Tuition Equity makes sure our K-12 investment doesn’t go to waste
- Tuition Equity will help create the educated workforce Oregon needs to compete
- Please support Senate Bill 742 (so right, you should say it twice)
A few links about why Tuition Equity’s a great idea: